Monday, January 5, 2009

Yoga

Over break dad has bought us a new fitness program called P90X. This program focuses on strength training and nutrition. It is an intense program that includes millions of pullup exercises and other basic strength training exercises. There are DVDs for each day, about 8 different workouts including 3 strength training workouts, Abs, yoga, cardio, and a kickboxing type workout. It is a 90 day program, if you do it straight through. My goal is to get into better shape and get stronger along with losing a few pounds to not only look and feel physically better but also to lower my cholesterol. Today I did the yoga workout and I now have new respect for those who do yoga.

Previously I felt that yoga was lazy and a lot of stretching with coorinated breathing while standing on your head and weird poses like that. Well, I have now realized that yes yoga is stretching, weird poses, and coordinated breathing, minus the lazy part. It takes a lot of strength to do the poses correctly and hold them for a set time. I also learned I do in fact enjoy it and while I am still a novice and wont feel comfortable taking a class for quite some time, I look forward continuing this yoga dvd and advancing further. I have only been able to do 45 min of the 90 min video, but with time, I know I will be able to complete the full 90 min.

No comments: